Friday, August 11, 2006

"Attica", by Garry Kilworth


What lurks in the dark corners of the attic? What would happen if, crossing the rafters, you found you could go on and on, into an unknown roof-scape country of hat-stand trees, strange villagers driving sewing machine cars, scissor birds and murderous shop-window dummies? Three children (and Neslon, the "three-cornered cat"), sent into the attic of their new home to look for the landlord's old watch, are about to find out...

This is a great book, I bought it on the strength of the blurb on the back, and I wasn't disappointed. (I also thought I'd read another of his books years ago, but I can't track it down, so I must have been thinking of someone else. Still, worked out ok!). A really original children's fantasy quest book, the characters are well drawn and believable and the landscape is vividly painted for you. I did feel a vague sense of 'cop out' when it came to dealing with the question of passing time and their return though, but not enough to spoil any enjoyment of it. If you like well written children's fantasy, I thoroughly recommend this!

7 Comments:

At 9:15 pm, Blogger The Book Fiend said...

This sounds fantabulous - I really must get hold of a copy!

 
At 3:29 pm, Blogger Kailana said...

Hi! I am going off people's blogs and just found yours! You read a lot of books that look interesting. :)

This one for example...

 
At 1:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds brilliant - my daughter loves writers like Garth Nix, Philip Pullman etc and am always looking out for new writers for her.

 
At 8:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this book over the summer and it was absolutley faaabulous. It has non-stop action

 
At 9:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Attica" by Garry Kilworth, was a fantastic novel, the theme, setting and the story line were brilliant. You must read this book!!

 
At 9:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This book was non-stop action, a must for anyone who likes fantasy storys that have a touch of thrill.
ATTICA is a novel you will never forget.

 
At 10:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading this book now. It's very interesting, especially good is the description of people relationships. May I ask a question to people, who has already read it up? Who is the board-comber and how is he looked like? I understand that he is a fantastic creature, which was created by the author, but I can't understand it's nature ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home