Tuesday, July 18, 2006

"The Fourth Bear", by Jasper Fforde


This is the follow-up to last year's The Big Over Easy, and while it didn't strike me on first reading as quite as funny as Fforde's others, that still makes it funnier than the majority of things out there.

DCI Jack Spratt and DS Mary Mary of the Nursery Crime Division are looking into a series of greenhouse explosions, seeming linked to gardeners in the field of extreme cucumber growing and also the disappearance of Goldilocks, supporter of the controversial 'right to arm bears' movement and possibly mixed up in illegal porridge dealing. Jack's got other things on his mind too - Punch and Judy have moved in next door, Dorian Gray has sold him a distinctly odd car, and he's got to prove his sanity to a psychiatric review...

Definitely recommended!

2 Comments:

At 4:57 pm, Blogger The Book Fiend said...

I've just requested The Big Over Easy from Read it, Swap it & am keeping my fingers crossed. A while back I read The Case of the Four & Twenty Blackbirds (a short story by Neil Gaiman) which was to do with Nursery Rhyme Crimes & tickled my funny bone no end, so I'm hoping for similar here.

 
At 8:54 am, Blogger Marg said...

I have enjoyed all of Fforde's books, most especially the Thursday Next series. Can't wait to get hold of this one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home