Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Wind In The Willows, by Kenneth Grahame


It's funny really, how you tend to avoid reading 'classics' because you think they're going to be dull. It's like anti-logic, or something. And then you read one, more because you think you should than for any other reason and you're vaguely surprised when it's really good. Odd, really. Happened with Treasure Island too.

Anyway, I'd managed to go nearly 29 years without not only not reading it, but also not seeing any tv/film versions (although I vaguely remember a theatre thing when I was about 7 and Toad definitely sounded like David Jason in my head so I must have got that from somewhere). So there was the added bonus of not knowing the plot, such as it is; it's an episodic little book, each chapter or couple of chapters being pretty much self contained stories in themselves.

Beautifully descriptive (with illustrations by Ernest Shepard who it turns out also did Winnie the Pooh, which I *had* read) and very entertaining, I rather wish I'd got around to it earlier. Still, better late than never I suppose, and if you haven't read it yet, go and do so. Or any other children's classic you've been avoiding, for that matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home